We are a group of outdoor enthusiasts, based in Edmonton, Alberta, who organize trips for our members so that we can enjoy activities such as hiking, backpacking, climbing, mountaineering, backcountry skiing, and snow shoeing together.
The club averages around 200 members. There are no special prerequisites to join, and activities are available for all skill levels from beginner to advanced.
The Grant MacEwan Mountain Club (we are not affiliated with MacEwan University) offers a wide range of trips throughout the year, as well as courses, workshops and social events. Trip leaders are volunteers from within the club.
There is a strong emphasis on safety, and some trips require the completion of specific courses, such as Avalanche Skills Training 1, in order to participate. Participants are required to sign a waiver and assumption of risk agreement for each trip.
Members are responsible for assessing their own ability level and choosing trips accordingly.
We have a focus on respect and concern for the natural environment.
The club is not a commercial enterprise and does not offer guided trips.
The club is managed by dedicated volunteers.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
1. Promote awareness about the mountains.
2. Provide a medium of access for people to experience the mountain environment.
3. Provide training through courses and workshops related to mountaineering skills.
4. Provide a communication channel for the exchange of trip experiences and ideas.
5. Voice publicly a united stand on public issues of environmental concern.
6. Hold regular executive and general membership meetings.